kimberly

kimberly
I guess you could call this "Before"

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Damon's Hot Stone Massage


(word from kimberly)
Hot stone massage was one of my favorite services, so I was excited to hear what Damon had to say about it.  Below is his take on a Hot Stone Massage. 




Damon's experience:

Ok, this if for all you dudes out there that have not been paying attention and still don’t think that getting a “spa treatment” is ok or cool. Trust me it is. Allow me to elaborate and enlighten you to this fact, if nothing else remember that there is someone rubbing you down with oil and massaging the knots out of your muscles (How bad can that be?).  Now this is not to take anything away from the professionals that do this nor to cheapen it but let’s face it guys, we are all a bit dumb when it comes to enjoying the finer points of life that do not involve, firearms, big and or noisy pieces of machinery (especially ones that are for destruction), cooking meat with direct flames and sports. 
So I had the pleasure recently of getting a “hot stone” massage. Note that I was skeptical and even slightly sneering at the idea when it was first mentioned. 
Being inner monologue “Hot. Stone? Really? How could anyone possibly believe that rubbing some hot rocks on your body can do anything for you other than possible scald your skin? What idiot thought this up? Someone who invested too heavily in pet rocks back in the 80’s . . .ha!”
So I think I’ve set up the initial reaction to this a few months ago when these were all being offered. Now, having said that, I must say that as the day approached I grew more intrigued and interested if only because Margo had done such a great job with the two previous half hour massages. So usual intro for the day, “hi how are you? Can I get you some water while you’re waiting? The usual pleasantries, and very much appreciated. Again, I know I have said it before, but it is worth mentioning again, it is the attention to detail that I really appreciate here. 
So the hot stone differs from a regular massage in that they actually use, hot stones. Crazy, right? So the masseuse rubs their hands with oil then grabs a hot stone and uses that to massage the muscle. The stones are hot, but not unpleasant, in fact it is very warming and soothing. The stones are used to create a bit more pressure on the muscle as well as heat to help loosen up the knots and kinks. This also allows the muscle to be worked more deeply so that long term muscle pain and problems can be alleviated. 
All of the major muscle groups are worked, neck, arms, legs and while I won’t go into detail (I hate spoilers) I will say that it was not the same kind of relaxing that the other massages were. The hot stone is something unique and must be experienced to fully understand. I am sure that there are some people that would walk away having fallen asleep during the process, but I was very much interested in what was happening and how it affected the feeling of each muscle that was being worked. What I will say is that when I finally walked out of the room I felt like I had just taken a nap AND worked out all at once. An interesting sensation to say the least. 
What I really enjoyed was that I did feel very relaxed and I also felt a bit sore from the muscles being worked so deeply. The part that really worked for me, everything was great, but the extended scalp massage (thank you Margo!) really put me in the trance. Nice way to start a Wednesday morning. 
The whole experience from start to finish was wonderful and highly recommended to anyone who has an hour and half available and needs to work out a few months stress and anxiety. This will reset your inner stress clock, I promise. Make sure that if you do get one of these that you drink PLENTY of water for the next 24 hrs. Deep massages can release stored toxins from your muscles into your blood and those need to be flushed from your system quickly, trust me. So, guys, there are really no excuses for not going and getting a massage. Your friends won’t laugh at you. If they do it’s because they just don’t know how good it really is. I think it is fair to say that I will be going back in for another hot stone at least once more this year and I think it will be a once a quarter thing for me if I can fit it in, it really is worth it. No joke. 
Once again the folks at Misbehave have taken me from skeptic to believer just through demonstration. If they can change my mind, I think it is safe to say that you will become a believer to if you just try it. If nothing else you get an hour and a half off from life and a nap. Cheers.



1 comment:

  1. I’m glad that Damon liked it on his first try! I know a lot of people who are skeptical to try this kind of massage. I encouraged some of them to try, and they thanked me for it. I think one of the benefits of a hot stone massage is that it soothes your body and mind after a hard day’s work.

    ReplyDelete